Ingredients1 onion, minced
- 1 eggplant, unpeeled, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups oil, for frying
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 12 ounces pasta, short and round is best
- ½ cup ricotta or pecorino cheese
- Fill a deep skillet with frying oil and lightly fry the eggplant until soft and golden; drain and set aside.
- In a separate skillet sauté the onions in olive oil on medium heat 5-10 minutes until translucent. Add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and eggplant; simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Boil the pasta according to package directions until it is cooked al dente. When done, drain the pasta and mix with the sauce. Top with fresh ricotta or pecorino cheese.