- 4 cups tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 basil leaves
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 eggplant, washed and sliced into thin rounds
- 7 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 7 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
To prepare the sauce
- Combine the tomato puree, one tablespoon of the oil and basil in a pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet and lightly pan fry the pieces of eggplant. Fry for several minutes on each side.
- Cover the bottom of a square baking pan with sauce. Place a layer of eggplant on the sauce. Add a layer of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses on top of the eggplant.
- Continue to layer the sauce, eggplant, and cheeses until all ingredients are used up.
- Top with a final layer of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.