- 1 medium potato, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
1 tomato, roughly chopped
½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 quarts water
1 medium onion, diced
1 ¼ cups white rice, Arborio preferred
½ cup white wine
1 bunch radicchio, washed and cut into strips
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, optional
- Prepare the risotto broth by placing the chopped potato, carrot, celery, zucchini, and tomato in a large pot with ¼ cup olive oil and 2 quarts of water. Boil the broth for 1 hour.
- While the broth is boiling, sauté the diced onion in the remaining ¼ cup of olive oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- When the onion is translucent, add the rice, stir together, and continue to sauté for several minutes.
- Add the white wine to the rice mixture and continue to cook until most of the wine evaporates. Add the sliced radicchio and stir it in with the rice.
- Slowly add the hot broth to the rice mixture one cup at a time; continue to stir after each addition of broth.
- Continue to cook the rice mixture until most of the broth is absorbed and it is al dente, about 15-18 minutes.
- Serve risotto with Parmesan cheese if desired.