- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons pepperoncino
- 7 ounces pancetta or guanciale
- 4 cups tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces pasta, bucatini preferred, or spaghetti
- 1 ounce finely grated cheese,
- Pecorino Romano or Parmigiana Reggiano
To prepare the sauce
- Saute the guanciale or pancetta in olive oil until slightly crisp. Add the tomato puree and pepperoncino. Cook together for 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt to taste.
To prepare the pasta
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and stir for one minute, turn the heat down, and cook pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta when done. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well to thoroughly coat.
- Top with cheese and serve.