- 8 cups water
- 1 potato, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 zucchini, roughly chopped and divided in two
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 eggplant
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup white rice, Arborio preferred
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese, diced into ¼ inch cubes
To prepare the vegetable broth
- Add 8 cups of water to a large pot. Add potato, carrot, celery stalk, onion, 1 zucchini, 1 tomato and ½ teaspoon salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes or more if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Add the olive oil to a large pot and turn the heat to high. Add the eggplant and zucchini. Cook until soft, 5-10 minutes. Add the rice and stir well. When the rice is a pale golden color reduce the heat to medium low. Add the remaining salt and stir. Continuously add small amounts of broth to the mixture, stirring after each new addition until absorbed. No broth is needed the final 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Wash and dry the 4 remaining tomatoes. Cut off the tops and scoop out the insides. Arrange on a baking pan with the cut side up. When the risotto is cool, fill each tomato with the rice mixture, about two-thirds full. Add a small handful of diced Mozzarella, and then top with more rice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in the 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes.